3 July, 2016
Murgir Khichudi(Rice ,lentils and chicken cassarole)
Khichudi a delicious one pot meal , is one of the favorite meals of the people from the state of West Bengal popularly known as Bongs all over the world.It is a casserole which consists of nutritive and filling food items such as rice lentils ,vegetables ,meat etc. Khichudi is also known as khichdi is a popular dish in the other states of India as well is a popular vegetarian version.During the monsoons and winter seasons we would be craving for its aromatic, lip smacking ,peppery flavor .
- Rice 1 cup
- Yellow lentils(Moong dal 1/2 cup)
- Chicken boneless (400 gms)
- Onion(1 cup chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste(2 tbsp)
- Green chillies(3 to 4) chopped
- Tomatoes( 2 chopped)
- Cumin powder(1 tbsp)
- Red chilly powder
- Turmeric(1/2 tsp)
- Bay leaves
- All spice powder( 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 to 4 cloves ,2 to 3 cardamom) powdered around 2 tsp
- Clarified butter(ghee) 2 to 3 tbsp
- Oil 1/4th cup
- Coriander leaves(for garnish)
- Marinate the chicken pieces with a pinch of turmeric ,salt and lemon juice for around an hour.
- Dry roast the lentils in a pan over heat by continuous stirring till it leaves a beautiful aroma.
- Wash rice and soak in water for at least half an hour.
- In a deep pan add oil for heating.
- Fry bay leaves and red chilies.
- Add chopped onions and fry till golden brown
- Add ginger garlic paste followed by the spices.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till the water all evaporates and oil begin to float.
- Add salt to taste and the chicken pieces and fry in slow heat
- Next add the lentils and rice and add 5 to 6 cups of water.Stir and let it cook on slow flame till the lentils and rice get completely cooked.
- Check the salt at this stage.
- It will be mushy but the rice should not be overcooked or completely dissolved.
- Take off from the heat.
- In a small pan add clarified butter and add all spice powder and chopped green chilies and 2 whole red chillies.On it starts sizzling add this hot oil on the dish and stir.Serve hot garnished with coriander with any fries or pickles