8 September, 2016
Apeler achar(Apple sweet pickle)
Pickle making is an age old tradition in Indian household.In my family specially because we are Bengalis ,having something sweet after meal is a compulsion.The taste buds start craving for something sweet after every meal.In that case these homemade sweet pickles come to rescue.My mom makes these regularly and store in a jar .One can keep it in the refrigerator and have it for months.If kept outside you should consume within 3 to 4 days.One can make these pickles out of a variety of ingredients like tomatoes ,mangos ,apples e.tc. The pickles can then be consumed along with rice ,chapatis,parathas or breads.
- Apples (4 to 5) cubed
- Panch phoron(nigella seeds,fenugreek seeds,fennel seeds,mustard seeds,whole cumin )
- Red chilies (3 to 4)
- Black raisins(1/2 cup)
- Sugar (1 and 1/2 cup)
- Lemon juice(1/4th cup)
- Salt(1/2 tsp)
- All spice powder(cinnamon,cloves(2 to 3),green cardamom,black cardamom,star anise) powdered
- Red chily powder
- Sunflower oil(2 tbsp)
- Add oil in the pan and heat.
- When warm add 1 tsp of paanch phoron or 5 seasonings and 4 to 5 whole red chilies.
- When the spices splutter ,add the apple pieces and saute.Add raisins and stir
- Add sugar and saute ,till it melts,continue to stir till the apple pieces turn translucent.
- Add lemon juice
- Add a tsp of all spice powder and mix.
- When the mixture looses all water and start leaving the sides of the pan ,take it off fire.
- Now dry roast 1 tbsp of red chilly powder and mix.
- Pour it in air tight jar and refrigerate.
- Serve with bread ,parathas or rice when required