16 January, 2017
Modak (Rice dumpling stuffed with coconut and jaggery)
Modak are the rice dumplings stuffed with coconut and jaggery filling are very popular in Maharashtra .Modak is generally prepared during auspicious occasions owing to its satwik or pious ingredients.They have a special shape which I find very similar to the temple top.The modak is prepared during Ganesh utsav in Maharashtra as it is considered the favorite food of Lord Ganesha.Nowadays different types of Modaks like chocolate modak,mawa modak and kaju modak etc are available but the modak made of the rice flour is still the authentic.
- Rice flour (1 cup)
- Hot water (1/2 cup)
- Coconut scraped (2 cup)
- Sugarcane jaggery or molasses( 1 cup)
- Saute the coconut and jaggery in the wok stirring continuously till they don’t leave the sides of the pan.dont allow the jaggery to caramellize too much else it will become too sticky and the filling will become hard.
- Make small balls of the mixture and keep aside.
- In a pan add hot water and rice dough and stir till it forms a soft dough.
- Take a ball of rice flour and flatten like a disk.
- Add the ball of filling in the centre of the disk and close it to give a temple like shape.
- Steam the modaks for 15 to 20 minutes .
- Cool it in rack and serve with molten jaggery of clarified butter sprinkled on hot modaks.