This is my childhood comfort recipe to cook.During my teens whenever I wanted to cook for the guests or my friends ,I used to cook this one as it is a sure shot hit and every body will praise about you.Oh! how I used to love that! Even now I don’t need to refer to any diary or book or internet for this recipe as I just remember it for ever.This time I cooked this dish after years and I got the same smiling faces after the meals ,husband licked his fingers and said..the chicken is good ! you can now check out the ingredients for the dish.
- chicken with bones (500 gms)
- Onions 3 big sliced thin
- Onion (1) peeled and cut into big pieces
- Ginger (2 inch)
- Garlic cloves (4 to 5)
- tomatoes (4) blanched ,peeled,de-seeded and pureed.
- Tomato 1 chopped
- Oil(1 cup)
- All spice powder(1 tbsp)
- Cumin powder(1 tbsp)
- Green chillies(4 to 5) split
- Curd(1/2 cup)
- Lemon juice(1 lemon)
- Salt (to taste)
- coriander leaves(for garnish)
- make a fine paste of cut onions and ginger ,garlic
- Marinate the chicken for at least 1 to 2 hours with the following marinate:- curd,onion ginger ,garlic paste,turmeric ,salt and 2 tbsp of oil
- Fry the sliced onions in oil in batches till they are brown.Add a pinch of sugar while frying after they had become brown so that they get caramelized ,get a nice color and become crispy.Take out of the oil and keep aside.
- In the oil add tomato puree and saute.
- Add turmeric powder ,cumin and red chilly powder and continue to saute in high flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt and lower the flame.
- When the water has evaporated and the spicy mixture does not stick to the sides of the pan ,add the marinated chicken.
- Cover and cook for at least half an hour to 45 minutes ,stirring in between.
- If the chicken tends to stick to the bottom and the sides of the pan add 1/4th cup of warm water .
- Slow cook on low flame till the chicken gets tender ,the fat all melts and oil stats showing up on the top.
- Add all spice powder at this stage.Check salt,add if required.
- Before taking off the fire and the caramelized onions and mix.Don’t cook.switch off the oven after this.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with any flat breads or fried rice.