13 December, 2015
Spicy pumpkin cake with caramel glaze
Even in India in the month of December the vegetable market is full of beautiful looking pumpkins so I could not resist myself trying Pumpkin cake for the first time.I tuned my basic cake recipe slightly to accommodate the addition of pumpkin pulp in my cake.
It turned out to be amazing..soft and full of flavor from the spice and pumpkin .We all liked it and will make it again with the leftover pulp which i have stored safely in refrigerator.
2.Clove (ground and strained 1/2 tbsp)
3.Cinnamon(ground and strained 1 tbsp)
4.Sugar (powdered 7 tbsp)
5.Vegetable oil (6 tbsp)
6.Refined flour(7 tbsp)
8.Baking powder(1/2 tsp)
9.Powdered sugar (3 tbsp) for caramelised topping
10.Dark Chocolate ( 50gms chopped)
11.Egg whites(2 eggs)
12.Vanilla (1/2 tsp)
- Cut the pumpkin into halves and bake in oven at 170 to 200 degrees for 30 minutes till it gets tender.
- Scoop out the flesh.
- Puree in the mixer grinder
- Grease and flour a 1/2 kg aluminium or silicon mold
- Measure and strain flour and baking powder.
- Separate 3 egg whites from the yolk.
- Beat the egg whites till peaks dont form.
- Add vanilla and vegetable oil to the yolk.
- Slowly add the yolk to the egg white and beat.
- Add suagar and beat.
- Add the spices and 4 tbsp of pumpkin puree.
- slowly fold the flour and mix till it forms a uniform mixture.do not beat.
- Add the chopped chocolates and mix.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees for 30 minutes till the fork run through the cake comes clean.
- Take off the cake and cool
- Beat the 2 egg whites till frothy.Add 1 tbsp of suagr and mix.
- With a brush or spatula cover the top of the cake with this mixture uniformly.
- Dust 3 to 4 tbsp of powdered sugar over it.
- Grill the top for 5 minutes till the sugar melts.
- Mix 2 tbsp of left over pumpkin puree with sugar and spices.
- With the help of an icing nozzle make small decorations.
- Serve hot or cold