29 January, 2017
Ragda patties(mixed vegetable and potato paties with a sweet and sour yellow peas curry)
This is another beautiful Mumbai street food to die for.The spicy sweet and sour ragda or yellow peas curry over potato patties make a one pot filling meal.The curry can be customized to taste by adding various sweet ,sour or spicy chutneys .To make this dish,it requires little preparation ,specially it is better if you soak the yellow peas the night before.If you forget to do so then you have to rely on the pressure cooker and after around 4 to 5 whistles or more the peas may be tender to be used in the curry.For the crunch ,raw finely chopped onions and for crispy bites fried sev may be sprinkled above the dish.Over all a lip smacking dish to prepare for Sunday breakfast or evening snacks.
Makes 10 patties
- Potatoes boiled( 3 to 4)
- Green peas 1 cup boiled
- Carrots and beet root grated(1 cup)
- All spice powder (1/2 tsp)
- Chopped onions(1 cup)
- Ginger garlic paste (1 tbsp)
- Chickpeas flour or besan (1/4th cup)
- Coriander leaves a handful chopped fine
- Green chilies 3 to 4 chopped fine
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder(1/2 tsp)
- Rice flour 1/2 cup
- Add oil in the pan and fry onions till light brown
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add chilli powder and stir.
- Add all the boiled vegetables in the pan and stir thoroughly till they are all mashed and form a thick saucy consistency.Add salt
- Add chickpea flour and green chilies and coriander leaves and salt if required and stir ,till they form a lump and leave the sides of the pan.
- Allow it to cool .
- Wet your palms and make small patties or cut them with cookie cutter to form heart shaped cookies.Roll on little rice flour or semolina.
- Fry on a hot pan smeared with little oil till they become brown on both the sides.
Yellow peas curry
- Yellow peas (1 cup)
- Chopped onions (1/2 cup)
- Water containing tamarind pulp dissolved and strained (1 cup)
- red chili powder(1 tbsp)
- Jaggery or sugar (2 tbsp)
- Soak the dry yellow peas over night .
- Boil them with 1 cup of water and salt till one whistle or till they are not tender to the core.
- In the tamarind water add red chili powder and jaggery for a sweet and sour taste.
- Add this water to the boiled peas.Add chopped onions.
- Make a smooth paste of a bunch of coriander,mint,2 green chilies and 2 garlic cloves with salt to taste and water to form a green chutney of saucy consistency.
- Keep two patties on the plate .
- Pour hot yellow peas curry from the top.
- Drizzle green chutney.
- Garnish with chopped onions and sev(fine fried noodles)