Raita is a sidedish which is generally made with yoghurt and raw vegetables similar to salad.It has a creamy consistency similar to any dip used along with an appetizer.When used as a side dish the yoghurt used ,keeps your body cool and bottle gourd or lauki inherently has a lot of water content which help in digestion.if you don’t get bottle gourd you can substitute with zucchini as both hail from the same family.
- Bottle gourd(2 cup shredded)
- Onion (1 cup finely chopped)
- Garlic 4 to 5 finely chopped)
- Coriander powder (1/2 tsp)
- Cumin powder(1/2 tsp)
- Green chilies chopped(2)
- Mustard seeds 3 to 4 tbsp
- Yoghurt (400 gms)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Boil the shredded bottle gourd with little salt till tender.
- In a wok add 1 tsp oil and add chopped onions 1/2 cup.
- Add cumin powder ,chilly powder and garlic and saute till dry.
- In a big colander or bowl(preferably stone or ceramic or steel) beat curd or un-sweetened yoghurt with rock salt.
- Add the spiced vegetable in curd and mix.
- Make a fine paste of mustard seeds and green chilies.
- Add 1 tbsp mustard paste to the yogurt and mix .
- Top it with some chopped onions and chopped green chilies and serve chilled with and meat dish or vegetarian food or you may have it just like that.