22 April, 2016
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” text=”” heading=”” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ link=”” /]This is a traditional recipe from Bihar which is a place in Eastern India where the people suffer from heat strokes due to the flow of Hot air called loo during Summer.It is also a place where Buddhism was in its peak during the time Gautam Buddha (the spiritual leader of Buddhism) and due to his influence the food is mainly vegetarian.My husband’s family hails from Jamshedpur and I do have a special connection with Bihar and Jharkhand which are now two separate states.My mom in law used to make this recipe which I like a lot and this recipe works wonders to cool one’s body during summer.I made few changes in the recipe in terms of spices and it did taste amazing.
Raita is a sidedish which is generally made with yoghurt and raw vegetables similar to salad.It has a creamy consistency similar to any dip used along with an appetizer.When used as a side dish the yoghurt used ,keeps your body cool and bottle gourd or lauki inherently has a lot of water content which help in digestion.if you don’t get bottle gourd you can substitute with zucchini as both hail from the same family.
- Bottle gourd(2 cup shredded)
- Onion (1 cup finely chopped)
- Garlic 4 to 5 finely chopped)
- Coriander powder (1/2 tsp)
- Cumin powder(1/2 tsp)
- Green chilies chopped(2)
- Mustard seeds 3 to 4 tbsp
- Yoghurt (400 gms)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Boil the shredded bottle gourd with little salt till tender.
- In a wok add 1 tsp oil and add chopped onions 1/2 cup.
- Add cumin powder ,chilly powder and garlic and saute till dry.
- In a big colander or bowl(preferably stone or ceramic or steel) beat curd or un-sweetened yoghurt with rock salt.
- Add the spiced vegetable in curd and mix.
- Make a fine paste of mustard seeds and green chilies.
- Add 1 tbsp mustard paste to the yogurt and mix .
- Top it with some chopped onions and chopped green chilies and serve chilled with and meat dish or vegetarian food or you may have it just like that.