I always want to have my desserts guilt free and I also want my friends and relalatives to consume them free from the scare of getting high cholesterol and sugar and gaining weight from the dessert. Ragi is a crop which is widely grown in Asian countries and Africa. Ragi flour is a gluten free dietary fiber which has a significant part in weight loss programs.It helps to curb down the appetite.It also control diabetes.This chocolate cake comprises of ragi, jaggery and dark chocolate ,ragi makes it filling,nutritious healthy ,jaggery makes it rich and sweet and chocolate makes it decadent delicious.You can read more about the health benefits of ragi at this post.
This cake has approximately 1049 calories in contrast to 1800 calories which a normal chocolate cake with chocolate frosting has.The fats comprises only 40 gms in contrast to 80 gms in other chocolate cakes with reference to the calorie counter of this useful site.
- ragi or finger millet flour (5 tbsp)
- Cocoa (4 tbsp)
- baking powder(1/2 tsp)
- Vanilla(1/2 tsp)
- Palm jaggery or any Jaggery(3 tbsp grated)
For the glaze
- Water 1/2 cup
- Sugar [2 to 3 tbsp] optional(avoid if diabetic)
- Dark Chocolate 100 gm
- Butter (1 tbsp)
- vanilla (1/4 tsp)
- strain cocoa,ragi flour and baking powder
- Grate the jaggery.
- Beat egg whites till firm.
- Add the grated jaggery and beat it will form a beautiful light brown foam.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat till the mixture is uniform.
- fold the flour into this wet mixture with spatula and mix till it forms a nice even mixture.
- pour the mixture into a greased pan.
- preheat the oven at 200 degrees for minutes.
- bake the mixture for 45 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Allow to cool before taking out.
- Cool the cake in the fridge for about 20 minutes before adding the glaze
- Heat water and sugar till sugar melts,lower the heat then.
- Add dark chocolate pieces and allow to melt.
- Allow the mixture to thicken ,the glaze will be runny and chocolaty but not very thin
- add butter and vanilla and mix.
- Pour this hot glaze on the cake. Allow to cool this cake in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
- By that time the glaze outside will become a little thick too.
- Pour this glaze again on the cake for another coat even out the surface.
- Decorate with whipped cream and cherries and keep refrigerated before serving.