9 June, 2017
How to make tiramisu without ladyfingers(Tiramisu with rusk)
Tiramisu is a popular rich Italian dessert which has spread its footprints in the
renowned restaurant kitchens all over the world .It is elegant ,decadent and layered
no bake dessert filled with mascarpone cheese,eggs,wine,cream,coffee and chocolate
etc.The crust is made by soaking ladyfinger cookies in coffee.Coffee is the
predominant flavour of tiramisu.
Ladyfingers are dry egg based sponge biscuits which are soaked in coffee and liquor
to make perfect tiramisu.These biscuits are not available with local vendors in my locality , I had to procure it either from Amazon or from hypercity ,so decided to replace these with the local rusk biscuits.
The rusk biscuits are delivered to my home regularly by our bread vendor.Rusks are
sweet biscuits with texture similar to crispy toasted bread.We can relish them by
dipping in hot tea or coffee.
For the filling ,I have used vanilla custard and whipped cream.The overall dish turned out to be great ,in fact my colleagues did not get a hint that I used rusk biscuits in the crust it smelled heavenly with the instant expresso coffee which one of my neighbor had gifted me from Dubai and had a very creamy texture.
- rectangular container
- parchment paper
- rusk biscuits( approximately 24)
- chocolate (50 gms molten)
- whipped cream (beaten 2 cups)
- vanilla custard powder(3 to 4 tbsp)
- Milk (1 cup)
- instant Coffee powder(4 to 5 tbsp)
- Water 1 cup ,milk 1 cup
- sugar (as per taste)
container lined with parchment paper
tiramisu with rusk
tiramisu with rusk
- Line the container with parchment paper
- Beat the whipped cream till it forms peaks
- Make a strong coffee with coffee powder ,milk,water and sugar and keep aside.
- prepare the vanilla custard by dissolving the custard powder and sugar in 1 cup of milk and cooking till the mixture thickens like saucy consistency.
- Make a chocolate sauce by mixing molten chocolate in heated whipped cream.
- soak each biscuit in coffee and line the bottom of the container.cover the gaps,by breaking the biscuits into rectangular pieces
- Pour custard over it.
- Again ,soak each biscuit in coffee and make another layer on it.
- Cover with chocolate sauce and grated chocolate.
- Repeat the soaked biscuits layer again.
- Cover with whipped cream.Make decorations with whipped cream on top and dust with coffee powder and garnish with grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate overnight.Serve chilled