Christmas has always been very special to my heart .Every year ,when my papa was alive,he used to buy and bring home a fruit and nut rum cake from the shop on 25th December.My brother and I used to wait eagerly for him, in the morning, to go to the market and bring the cake for us.It has been a ritual since childhood.As he is no more, this day has become a special day to cherish the memories of his love from those good old childhood days .I still miss him every minute of my life .
Christmas day is celebrated as “Borodin” in Kolkata. The Borodin in Bengali literally means “big day” might be referring to the Winter solstice on 21st December after which the day starts becoming bigger ,or “great day” due to the birth of Jesus Christ. The name takes care of both Scientific facts and religious sentiments.The whole city is lighted with colorful decorative lights giving it a festive look.There is a sea of crowd on the streets wearing colorful dresses,Santa’s caps etc and sometimes police has to employ special measures to control the crowd.The Bengali Christians ,which is a unique community in Bengal just like the Anglo Indians ,have their unique culture and cuisines.They make their own sausages at home ,roast turkey on Christmas day and consume homemade wines.
This year apart from making the traditional Christmas cake ,I decided to bake some cupcakes made of pumpkin.Pumpkins are naturally sweet and the seeds are rich in zinc.Zinc is vital for the growth and development of vital reproductive organs and brain.
- 1 cup refined flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- A fist of pumpkin seeds
- grease 12 cupcake or muffin cups
- Strain the flour and baking powder.
- for the pumpkin puree bake the pumpkin with shell for 20 minutes at 200 degrees and scoop the flesh
- grind finely in a grinder.
- cream the butter with a beater with powdered sugar.
- Add the pumpkin puree and beat
- Add egg and beat at speed 1.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and beat into a fluffy mixture.
- Now fold the flour into this wet mixture.
- Fill 3/4th of the muffin cups
- bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.
- bake for 15 minutes at 200 degrees.
- cool on a rack and decorate as you wish.
These sound like an amazing treat at this time of the year, Indrani. That’s very interesting information about Christmas in Kolkata, I never knew that!