30 April, 2017
Easy shakshuka recipe
Nothing can go wrong with poached eggs ,runny yolks sunk into a rich spicy tomato based luscious sauce,specially during breakfast time. Shakshouka is a dish popular in the Middle East and North Africa with variation in spices.To bring the heat on you can add Harissa ,cayenne pepper, paprika or your local chilies. I grow chilies in my balcony and fortunately it had some pretty red ones dangling in the breeze waiting to get plucked.The dish was beautiful and I was wondering why I had not tried this before.
- Onions (1 cup finely chopped)
- Garlic 4 to 5 cloves mashed and chopped
- Green chilies(2 chopped)
- Coriander leaves (A handful finely chopped)
- Kasmiri red chilies(2 to 3) soaked in warm water and made a paste
- cumin powder(1/2 tsp)
- Tomatoes(3 pureed)
- Red bell pepper 1 chopped fine
- Eggs 3 to 4
- Olive oil (3 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the pan.
- Add chopped onions and fry till translucent
- Fry garlic
- Fry bell peppers.
- Add tomato puree and simmer the sauce in slow heat ,till rawness disappear.
- Add red chilly paste,salt and cumin powder.
- Make holes with spoon in the sauce .
- Break 3 eggs one by one carefully into the holes.
- Sprinkle some salt on the eggs.
- Cover cook for 10 minutes till the white is not set.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and cover cook again for 2 minutes.
- Serve with toasted crispy bread and yoghurt.