24 March, 2016
Gujiya is a snacks prepared in Western and Southern parts of India .It is a moon shaped pastry dough stuffed with sweet or spicy fillings and then baked or deep fried.The dish has a lot of similarities to the empandas with respect to its shape and recipe which is a popular dish widely prepared in the countries of Latin Europe,Latin America .The only difference lies in the filling which is generally vegetarian in case of Gujiya while the empandas are generally stuffed with meat.Empanadas trace back their origins to Portugal, and the northwest region of Spain.The dish came to India with Portuguese invaders who established a water route to India in search of spices and established their colonial rule in parts of the country like Goa and Kerala who were rich in spices like black pepper.Gujiya is a snacks which is prepared during most of the Indian festival specially Holi.The sweet gujiyas are sometimes dipped in thick sugar syrup.
for the dough
- refined flour 500 gms
- Oil or clarified butter 1/2 cup
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
for the filling
- Mawa (200 gms)
- Coconut dessicated (100 gms)
- Green cardamoms (4 to 5)
- Dried fruits(roasted cashewnuts,raisins,almonds,pistachios)
- Milk (1/4th cup)
- Clarified butter or ghee
- Sugar (1/2 cup)
- Vegetable oil for frying(2 cups)
- Add oil and salt in the dough and prepare a crumbly mixture.
- Add warm water to form a soft but tight dough.
- Cover with moist cloth or store in an air tight container.
- Then prepare the filling.
- Grind the dried fruits with cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- Add ghee in the pan and add mawa or dried thickened milk.When it blends and forms a semi-liquid mixture add the dried fruit mixture and coconut.
- Continute to stir in low flame.
- Then add the sugar and stir till it does not melt.At this stage you can add milk and saute till the mixture is uniform and does not leave the sides of the pan.
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Roll to form small disk.Keep a small amount of filling in the middle and fold to form a semi circle.
- Fold the edges and seal it with fingers to form a decoration.
- Start frying it.
- The oil should not be too hot.Just warm it a little till the bubbles disappear .Slide the gujiyas in the oil carefully and allow to become uniform brown on all sides on medium heat.Fry them in batches.
- Make a thick sugar syrup and dip the gujiyas in the syrup and take it out.Store in containers and serve to guests as and when required.