18 September, 2016
Idly sambar chutney
This is a popular Indian breakfast all over the world.The hot steamed ,soft rice and lentil cakes are traditionally served with a dal (lentils gravy)prepared with vegetables and special spices.Curry leaves are the only herbs which can endow this indigenous and authentic taste for this dish.Apart from this gravy a chutney is also served which varies from state to state and even from city to city containing the common ingredient of the south coastal lines, coconut.This is the staple breakfast of the state of Tamil Nadu which has gained its popularity all over India and even world due to its simplicity,filling property and easy digestible benefits.As a combo this can also be served in Lunch or dinner as main course.
- Rice soaked overnight(2 cups)
- White lentils (urud dal) 1 cup soaked separately
- Ground the rice and lentils together after draining all water.
- Add little water only sufficient to grind them finely
- The mixture should be thick fine and smooth of pouring consistency.
- Keep the mixture another 6 to 7 hours for fermentation.
- Add salt to taste
- grease the idli molds .
- add 2 tbsp of the mixture ,so that it fills only 3/4th of the mold and steam for 5 to 7 minutes.
- If you don’t have idly mold ,you can use any mold like muffin cups or cup cake mold.
- Serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney.
- Toor dal or yellow lentils(1 cup)
- 2 small Aubergines( cut into big pieces)
- Ladies finger(4 to 5 ,only the head and tail part removed)
- Drumsticks cut into big pieces( 1 cup)
- Shallots or onions chopped into big pieces
- 1 handful of Curry leaves
- 1 tsp of yellow lentils for seasoning
- Mustard seeds (1 tsp)
- 2 tbsp Sambar powder( ready made powder available in Indian stores)
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 4 to 6 green chillies
- Tamarind pulp 1/4 cup soaked in water.
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- A pinch of Asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Parboil the vegetables and strain.
- Boil the lentils till soft.
- Grind in a grinder to make the boiled lentil smooth.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add mustard seeds ,when it splutter add curry leaves and 1 tsp of toor dal.
- Add tomato puree and saute till the raw smell disappear.
- dissolve red chilly powder and sambar powder in water to form a paste.
- Add this paste in oil and saute.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Add the vegetables.
- Add the tamarind pulp soaked in water.
- Add the boiled lentils puree.
- Add green chillies chopped or split
- Allow to cook covered for 7 to 10 minutes.
- the grave or dal should not be thick,it should be little more thicker than ordinary milk,add 1 cup of water and adjust the salt if necessary.
- 1 cup of chopped coriander leaves.
- 1/2 cup of coconut.
- 2 green chilies
- Salt as per taste
- 4 to 5 cloves of Garlic
- Mix everything into a smooth paste.
- Serve in bowls
- you can serve idli with sambar and chutney in separate bowls.Traditionally served on banana leaves.One can break a piece of idly ,roll it in chutney and have a spoonful of sambar after that.
- As a breakfast in Maharashtra ,idli is served in a flat bowl and sambar is poured over it and chutney is served as an accompaniment.