8 September, 2016
spicy apple chutney(Apple sweet pickle)
These chutneys prepared in the Bong community are similar to sweet pickles which can be stored for more than 15 days or even more than a month in the refrigerator.Pickle making is an age old tradition in Indian household.In my family specially because we are Bengalis ,having something sweet after meal is a compulsion.The taste buds start craving for something sweet after every meal.In that case these homemade sweet chutneys come to rescue.My mom makes these regularly and store in a jar .One can keep it in the refrigerator and have it for months.If kept outside you should consume within 3 to 4 days.One can make these pickles out of a variety of ingredients like tomatoes ,mangoes ,apples e.tc. The pickles can then be consumed along with rice ,chapatis,parathas or breads.
- Apples (4 to 5) cubed
- Panch phoron(nigella seeds,fenugreek seeds,fennel seeds,mustard seeds,whole cumin )
- Red chilies (3 to 4)
- Black raisins(1/2 cup)
- Sugar (1 and 1/2 cup)
- Lemon juice(1/4th cup)
- Salt(1/2 tsp)
- All spice powder(cinnamon,cloves(2 to 3),green cardamom,black cardamom,star anise) powdered
- Red chily powder
- Sunflower oil(2 tbsp)
- Add oil in the pan and heat.
- When warm add 1 tsp of paanch phoron or 5 seasonings and 4 to 5 whole red chilies.
- When the spices splutter ,add the apple pieces and saute.Add raisins and stir
- Add sugar and saute ,till it melts,continue to stir till the apple pieces turn translucent.
- Add lemon juice
- Add a tsp of all spice powder and mix.
- When the mixture looses all water and start leaving the sides of the pan ,take it off fire.
- Now dry roast 1 tbsp of red chilly powder and mix.
- Pour it in air tight jar and refrigerate.
- Serve with bread ,parathas or rice when required