Another beautiful and colorful night has arrived.We are waiting for this day the whole year celebrate with kids,families and friends.Yes ,I am talking about deepavali .On this day we light up our house and the lobbies of our apartments with lots of diyas ,candles etc.The streets and and the building also shine with small multicolored lights like the stars in the sky.The whole atmosphere is enchanting.It is celebrated on a New Moon’s night called “Amavasya”.So the sky is pitch dark.
Then we prepare sweets at our homes and savory dishes too mostly traditional from our mom and grand ma’s recipes.We have diwali party too where we invite guests at our home and have elaborate lunch or dinner together.We exchange gifts also.
This recipe makes crispy balls stuffed with spicy lentils.With a bite, the ball cracks in the mouth releasing a blast of flavors.
for the outer crust
- refined flour(2 cups)
- Oil (1/4 cup)
- Salt (1 tsp)
For the filling
- Yellow lentils(Moong dal) 2 cups soaked
- fennel seeds whole(1 tsp)
- fennel seeds powder(2 tbsp)
- Dry mango powder(1 tsp)
- Cumin powder(1 tbsp)
- Asafoetida (1 tsp)
- Red chilly powder(1 tbsp)
- Sugar (2 to 3 tbsp)
- Oil 125 ml(1/4 cup)
- vegetable oil (2 to 3 cups) depending on the depth of your pan.
Method for the stuffing
- Grind the lentils into a smooth paste.
- Add oil in the pan and heat.
- Add fennel seeds followed by the spices.
- Add the lentil paste.
- Stir vigorously.
- Add salt and sugar.
- fry till the mixture is dark in color and leave the sides of the pan.
- The mixture should not stick to the sides of the pan at all ,if it sticks ,you should add more oil.
- This stuffing could be prepared ahead and stored.
Method for making the kachoris
- Take a small ball of flour and with your fingers make a deep bowl out of it.
- Keep a small ball of stuffing at the centre.
- close the ball.
- Like this make 10 to 12 kachoris out of the dough.
Method for frying the kachoris
- add oil in your pan and keep it on low heat.
- Add 3 to 4 kachoris or the small stuffed balls in cold oil.
- let the kachoris fry on slow it.
- This will make the outer crust crispy and uniform.
- This will take around 10 to 15 minutes.
- With a spoon stir the ball intermediately so that all the sides get browned uniformly.
- When all the sides get reddish brown,take it off from the heat and serve with tea and coffee.
- You can store them in containers for more than a week outside in normal temperature.