18 May, 2017
Chicken keema masala(Minced chicken with raw papaya)
Raw papaya is one favorite ingredient among Bong community and why not! it is extremely nutritious and healthy .Besides having the property of easily digesting the fibers in vegetables and meat due to the presence of papain ,it also helps to retain the skin glow and ageless beauty.
Raw papaya has a neutral taste and generally kids don’t like it ,so we combine papaya with potatoes,peas and other vegetables to mask its neutral flavour in the dish.But it adds an extra dimension to meat dishes as the meat gets more tender and juicy and papaya takes up the flavour of the meat juices.We cook a lot of vegetarian varieties with papaya but this recipe is my own where I replaces potatoes in minced chicken with raw papaya cubes.It was delicious and finger licking.
- Minced chicken (500 gms)
- Onion 1 cup finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste (1 tbsp)
- All spice powder(1 tsp)
- turmeric powder(1/2 tsp)
- red chilly powder(1/2 tsp)
- Cumin powder(1/2 tsp)
- Clarified butter (2 tbsp)
- Papaya 1/2 cut vertically(cubed small)
- oil 1/2 cup
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 to 4 green cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat 1/2 cup oil and deep fry papaya cubes in batches ,till they are tender.
- Take another pan and heat clarified butter or ghee.
- Fry the whole spices for a few seconds,taking care not to burn
- Fry the chopped onions till golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add the spices turmeric,red chili powder and cumin powder .
- Saute the minced chicken.
- Add salt to taste and continue to fry the meat till it release oil.This method is called “bhuna”
- You can cover cook the meat and it will release water.
- Continue to cook till the water dries and fat is released.
- Add the papaya pieces and cover cook for more 15 minutes.
- Chop some green chilies and add .
- Sprinkle all spice powder and mix.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.