These flowers are rich in iron and help to increase hemoglobin in the blood managing anemia.They are also a rich source of vitamins and minerals and also know to benefit the lactation process of nursing mothers.
Traditionally we have several recipes involving the use of these flowers but this is one of the easy and unconventional way to cook the the vegetable.
The vegetable needs little time and preparation due to which it has become very rare in my kitchen.
- Banana flower pod(1)
- Ginger(paste 1 tbsp)
- Groundnuts roasted(a handful)
- coconut grated(1/4th cup)
- green chillies(2 to 3 finely chopped)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Sugar (2 tbsp)
- All spice powder(1 tbsp)
- cumin powder(1/2 tsp)
- coriander powder(1/2 tsp)
- chilly powder(1 tsp)
- Chopped onions 1 cup
- Cornflower (1/2 cup)
- Vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
Preparation cutting the flowers(15 to 20 mins)
- Separate flowers one by one by removing the petals.
- From each one of the flowers one needs to remove the stigma,which is hard.
- chop the flowers together finely with knife.
- Soak in water.
- You may need to apply oil during cutting as they are rich in iron and may stain your fingers.
Cooking the flowers.
- Pressure cook the chopped flowers till two to three whistles with a little salt .
- take them out ,strain the water to remove bitterness if any
- Mash them with palms to form a lump as they are crunchy.
- Add a tbsp of oil and add all spice powder followed by ginger and green chillies.
- Add the cooked flowers and add the remaining ingredients and sugar and saute for 5 mins till the mixture is dry and start leaving the sides of the pan.
- Cool the mixture.
- Add egg or cornflour and make flat patties.
- Shallow fry them on a frying pan till both the sides turn crispy.
- Sandwich them between breads and serve hot with ketchup