22 November, 2016
Sabudana Khichdi(Tapioca pearls one pot meal)
Tapioca is a starch extracted from the roots of cassava which is an original inhabitant of Brazil.The Spanish and the Portuguese explorers brought this secret ingredient and spread its usage in various countries of Asia. Khichdi is considered as a one pot nutritious meal and is prepared in different varieties in different regions.
The popularity of tapioca pearls ,which is a product of the tapioca starch among Hindus is due to the fact that these are carbohydrates not produced from grains (unlike rice,wheat e.t.c )and hence allowed to be consumed during fast.The reason for this although not found documented anywhere according to my opinion ,during the past being a foreign ingredient ,it was not locally cultivated and the know-how to extract and process these pearls were not available to the farmers ,hence considered exotic and difficult to procure during fasting.In Maharashtra and the states in the Western parts of India,the snacks made up of tapioca pearls is very popular.
Tapioca starch is healthy and has less calories compared to the carbohydrates obtained from the other sources. Tapioca pearls with milk is also useful for lactating mothers to increase their milk supply.So lets see the ingredients used to prepare this wonderful snacks from this wonder food.
- Tapioca pearls (2 cups )
- potato (1 boiled with salt and chopped into small pieces)
- Groundnuts(1 cup) coarsely powdered
- green chillies(4 finely chopped)
- Ginger (grated 1 tsp)
- Cumin powder(1tsp)
- chilly powder(1 tsp)
- Coriander leaves (a handful finely chopped)
- Coconut(freshly grated) 2 tbsp[optional]
- Mustard seeds(1 tsp)
- Curry leaves( 7 to 10)
- Dried red chilies( 2 to 4) broken by hand
- Vegetable oil(3 tbsp)
- Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Soak the tapioca pearls with enough water just to submerge them for 3 to 4 hours.If the water is fully or partly soaked drain them and keep dry.
- Soaking them for more time than required or more water will make them slimy or mushy ,spoiling the whole dish.
- Mix the drained pearls with powdered groundnuts.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When they stop spluttering add curry leaves and red chilies.Add grated ginger and fry.
- Add the potatoes and fry a little .
- Then add the tapioca pearls followed by salt and sugar ,stirring them until translucent.
- One should not overcook.they should not stick to each other.
- Mix the chopped green chilies
- Roast cumin and red chilly powder ,add and mix to the tapioca pearls mixture.
- Mix the chopped coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle lemon juice.
- Garnish with grated coconut and serve.