18 November, 2016
Prawns rechaedo masala
This one is a Goan special ,I fell in love with during my recent trip to Goa.The sauce is spicy,sweet and sour with a hint of alcohol.Traditionally coconut feni is used which is the country liquor extracted from the coconut palm tree…but I used rum instead.The prawns or fishes like mackarel, pomfret etc. are stir fried in this masala and served hot with rice.One can add cinnamon,cardamom and all spice powder as well but that is not the authentic method.Also traditionally onions are not used but I have used it for the thickness of the gravy.
- Medium or Jumbo Prawns de-veined (10 to 15)
- Onions chopped(1/4 cup) [optional]
- red chilies(15 to 20)
- Sugar (2 to 3 tbsp)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Vinegar(2 tbsp)
- Rum ( 2 tbsp)
- Garlic(8 to 10)
- Soak the chillies in vinegar for 30 minutes to an hour
- Grind all the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Marinate the prawns with 2 tbsp of this paste for an hour and half.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil in the pan and add the remaining paste in oil.
- When the mixture bubbles up add the marinated prawns and cover cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with hot steamed rice