11 June, 2014
Stuffed Teasle Gourd Bong Style(Pur bhora kakrol)
This is a starter or a side dish which you can have with steamed rice.The teasle gourds are filled with spicy mustard and coconut mixture.Traditionally we mash the stuffed and fried vegetable and mix with rice and eat.Instead of stuffed teasle gourd you can use any gourd from the family like bottle gourd,zucchini etc
- 5 to 6 Kakrol or Teasle gourd
- 2 to 4 Green chillies depending on how much spicy you want
- 2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 cup Grated Coconut (1 cup)
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar (as per taste)
- 1 cup Besan or Maida
- 2 cups of sunflower or mustard oil
Cut the vegetables into half.
Boil them in a pressure cooker with little salt.
Scoop out the flesh .
Separate the seeds
- Grind Mustard ,Green chillies and Coconut into a smooth mixture
- Note :To grind mustard in Mixer grinder ,You have to be careful so that it does not turn bitter.
- Mix mustard with a little salt and grind first.
- Then mix desiccated coconut and green chilies and grind again until smooth.
- You can add a little water if desired.
- Saute the mixture with the scooped out flesh of the vegetable on a tsp of mustard oil on heat till the mixture is dry enough.
- Add little sugar(optional, but I like it)
- Stuff the scooped vegetables with the mixture
Don't fill with too much mixture as it is very spicy.Fill only half of the kakrol.
- Make a batter with Maida ,salt and water and beat.
- The batter should be think enough to coat the vegetables.
- Add a spoon of hot oil to the mixture .It will help make the fry crisp.
- Dip the teasle gourds or kakrol in the batter and fry in oil.
To grind mustard in Mixer grinder ,You have to be careful so that it does not turn bitter. You can serve it hot with Rice. You can eat it as an appetizer or mash it with rice directly and eat your way. It is any way going to be tasty.