Dahi vada is a common North Indian dessert which contains lentils dumplings deep fried and then soaked in a sweet and sour yoghurt sauce with a lot of spicy and sweet chutney.Like any other North Indian street food it contains an interesting mix of flavors but then I read this recipe “keema dahi vada” in a traditional authentic Bengali cookbook “Thakur barir ranna” by Purnima thakur which contains dumpling made of chicken or mutton minced and then soaked in the curd sauce in the same way we prepare traditional dahi vadas.if any one has any knowledge about the history or origin of this dish do let me know in the comment section.The recipe is not only interesting but also rich in its flavors like any other ages old Royal recipe.
- Chicken minced (300 gms)
- Potato 2 to 3(chopped and boiled till tender)
- Bread (I used whole wheat bread 4 to 5)
- Green chilies chopped(2)
- Onions 2 chopped
- Garlic 5 to 6 small cloves
- All spice powder(cinnamon 1 stick ,cardamom 3 to 4 and cloves 4 to 5) ground
- Cumin powder(1/2 tsp)
- Coriander powder(1/2 tsp)
- Red chilly powder (1 tsp)
- Curd (1 cup)
- Roasted spices powder(cumin,coriander and red chilly roasted and powdered) 1 tbsp
- Oil (2 cups for deep fry)
- Clarified butter or ghee (2 tbsp)(optional)
For the chutney
- Tamarind soaked in 1 cup of hot water.
- Jaggery (grated 2 to 3 tbsp)
- Wash the minced chicken and drain water completely.
- mix chicken mince,potatoes ,onion,garlic ,green chillies,salt and grind in a blender till fine and smooth.
- Take out of the grinder and add salt and spices except the roasted spices and mix with hands.
- Grind the bread pieces in the grinder and mix it too.
- Add 1 egg and mix.
- Wet your palms and make small balls from the mixture.
- Deep fry them till uniformly brown.
Preparing the tamarind chutney
- Boil the soaked tamarind with jaggery till it forms a rich brown thick sauce.
- Add 1/2 tsp of roasted spices and 1/2 tsp of chilly powder and let it simmer.
- Strain the chutney
Preparing yoghurt sauce
- Beat the yoghurt with salt and roasted spices powder.
- Keep the hot vadas on a shallow plate and pour the yoghurt on them.
- Pour the chutney( 1 to 2 tbsp) on the curd and let it soak for at least an hour.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve.