28 March, 2016
Mutton rezala Bengali recipe(Mughlai lamb stew)
This is another mutton dish which is a part of Mughlai cuisine in Bengal .The dish is characterized by a light soupy whitish rich gravy due to the addition of white poppy seeds paste and cashew nuts paste .The mutton needs to be marinated and should be a melt into mouth kind in the dish.You can also add fresh cream which I have not added just because my husband does not like white colored gravy .The dish is equally tasty only it does not have white color.You can go ahead add add cream into the gravy.You can serve the dish with steamed rice or naans..
- Lamb or Goat meat pieces
- Potatoes 4 to 5 whole (optional not in the original recipe)
- Curd( 200 gms)
- Turmeric(1/2 tsp)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Clarified butter (ghee) or mustard oil or any other vegetable oil (2 to 3 tbsp)
- Ginger garlic paste fresh( 2 to 3 tbsp)
Rub and massage the meat pieces and marinate for 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Bay leaves 2 to 3
- Dry red chilies whole (4 to 5)
- Ghee or vegetable oil (1/4th cup)
- Onions 3 to 4
- Ginger garlic paste (1 tbsp)
- Cashews (1 cup)
- White poppy seeds (2 tbsp)
- Green chilies(4 to 5 )depends on how much spicy you want
- cinnamon (2 sticks)
- Cloves (5 to 6)
- Cardamom (5 to 6)
- Nutmeg (1/4th of a fruit)
- mace ( 2 to 3 flowers)
- cumin (1/2 tbsp)
- Coriander seeds(1/2 tbsp)
- Black pepper(1/2 tsp)
- Kewra water ( 2 tbsp)
- Saffron dissolved in 2 )tbsp of milk( to 10 strands)
- Fresh cream (1/2 cup) optional
- Fry the chopped onions in 1 tbsp of oil till pink and make a paste when it cools down.
- Make a paste of poppy seeds and green chilies.
- Make a paste of cashew nuts
- Add 1/4th cup of oil or ghee in the pan and add the whole red chilies and bay leaves.
- Powder all the spices together finely(6 to 13 nos in the ingredient list)
- Add onion paste followed by ginger garlic paste.
- Then add the mutton and spices and fry .
- Add the cashewnuts and poppy seeds paste and cook for about 45 mins to an hour till the mutton gets tender and start leaving the bones.(You can use pressure cooker also)
- Add the fresh cream and some warm water if you want a thin gravy.
- Check salt.
- Before taking it off fire add kewra water and saffron and mix.
- Serve hot.