7 June, 2016
Do o Kalai (Chicken with black lentils)
This is a simple yet delicious chicken curry from North East India specifically the Khasi mountainous regions.The cooking here is very healthy using minimal or or not using oil at all .Instead the chicken skin and fats are used to impart taste to the dish.I have followed the recipe from a book “Recipe of Meghalaya” by Mrs.Balabyanta Kharshiing.I have tweaked the recipe according to the ingredients available and according to the taste of my family.
- Chicken with skin preferably(500 gms)
- Black lentils(150 gms)
- Ginger (grated 3 to 4 tbsp)
- Garlic (2 tbsp)
- Green chilles( 2 to 3 chopped)
- Red chilly powder( 1 to 2 tbsp)
- Lemon juice(1/2 lemon) optional
- Cooking soda or baking soda(1/2 tsp)
- Oil( 2 to 3 tbsp)
- Soak the black lentils overnight.
- Grind the onion ,ginger ,garlic together forming a paste.
- In the oil add the onion paste followed by red chilly powder.Saute till the spices are fried.
- Add the soaked lentils and chicken together and mix .
- Add salt and cooking soda.
- Add green chilies finely chopped.
- Cook in a pressure cooker or on slow flame till the lentils get all tender and dissolved forming a gravy.
- Sprinkle lemon juice. Serve hot with rice .