Murg musallam is an authentic Mughlai dish which is extremely popular in Northern and Eastern part of India.Authentic dish contains a roasted and marinated whole chicken stuffed with spices,prawns ,eggs or rice and then cooking it in a yoghurt based spicy gravy .Today I will teach a royal dish which is still a favorite among the royal families of Lukhnow .The soft melt into mouth meat stuffed with aromatic rice and ducked into a rich creamy gravy is full of goodness and can be a one pot meal.
ingredients[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” text=”” heading=”” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ link=”” /]
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion, ground
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp green chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp all spices powder
- 1 tbsp crushed black pepper
- 1 cup curd or unsweetened yoghurt
- Few drops (kewra water)
- Mint leaves chopped fine( 3 to 4 tsp)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt as required
- Lemon juice ( 1 lemon)
Ingredients Of Rice
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 eggs, boiled
- Boiled peas (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 pinch yellow food color
- 4 black cardamoms
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 mace flower
- 1 star anise
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- Salt to taste
- Make small cuts on chicken.
- Make a paste of all the ingredients of marination and rub this mixture on the chicken for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Cook basmati rice in boiling hot water till grains look long but the rice not fully cooked.
- Heat clarified butter in a pot, add the ground whole spices and bay leaves and fry.
- Add chopped onions and fry till crisp.
- Fry for a little while.
- Add garlic, peas,rice, salt and water.
- Leave to cook.
- When rice is ready, add saffron. Leave on dum at low flame.
- fill the chicken with this rice and a boiled egg .
- You should traditionally sew with a needle and close this opening but I didn’t close it,just should be careful that the rice does not come out.
- Cook the chicken in a pre heated oven at 160 degrees for 45 minutes.
For the gravy
- Make a paste of 2 onions
- 1/2 cup cashewnut paste
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic and green chillies paste (2 tbsp)
- All spice powder (2 tbsp)
- Kewra water (2 tbsp)
- Yoghurt(1/2 cup)
- Cream or water (1/2 cup)
Preparing the gravy
- Add 1/4th cup oil in the pan.
- Fry the paste of onions followed by ginger garlic and chilly paste.
- Add turmeric and chilly powder.
- Add the curd or yoghurt and fry till oil is seen on the sides of the pan.
- Add cashewnut paste and fry.
- Add cream or water to get the quantity of gravy you want
- Add all spice powder followed by kewra water.
- Allow to cook on slow flame for 15 to 120 minutes.
- Add the whole chicken into this gravy and cook covered for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with naans or rice.