Mumbai earlier known as Bombay is the commercial capital of India .The people come here from different parts of the country for making money in stock market or fulfill their dream of making big in the Bolywood film industry .For this fast life a fast food is needed which can match the pace of fast life.The share brokers who work in Bombay Stock exchange, the whole night needed a nutritious but tasty food which is quick to eat and can be a one pot meal by itself.So the restaurant owners nearby cooked and mashed the leftover vegetables and made a curry sauce to be served with breads called pav.This bread and sauce combo in local language is known as pav bhaji and is one of the most delicious mouth watering street food of Mumbai.
- Cauliflower florets (1 cup)
- Potato chopped (2 cups)
- Carrots chopped(1/2 cup)
- Capsicum chopped(1/2 cup)
- Tomato chopped (3 cups)
- Mushroom chopped (optional)
- Sprouts(1/2 cup )(optional)
- Onions (2 cups)
- Kashmiri chilly powder(1 tbsp for red color)
- Ginger garlic paste(2 tbsp fresh)
- Green chillies(2 chopped finely)
- Butter 50 gms
- Cheese grated (1 cup)
- Lemon juice (1 lemon)
Pav Bhaji masala
referred to pav bhaji masala homemade
- 2 to 3 big black cardamom
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds (Dhaniya)
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tsp black peper
- 2 tbsp. fennel seeds (saunf)
- 6 to 7 red dry chilies
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
Dry roasted and powdered
- Boil all the vegetables numbered from (1 to 8) till tender.
- Traditionally they are mashed on the frying pan or tawa with a masher but you can pass it through the grinder once it is little cool to form a not so smooth paste.
- Add oil in the pan and add some more chopped onions followed by ginger garlic paste.
- Add kashmiri chilly powder and turmeric.
- Add pav bhaji masala and salt.saute for 2 minutes .
- Add the vegetable paste and let it fry on low heat.
- If you think it can stick to the pan add some water.
- Add around 20 to 50 gms of butter to taste.
- Let it cook covered for 20 to 25 minutes on low flame occasionally stirring the vegetable sauce.
- You can grate cheese and mix.squeeze juice of one lemon and mix.
- Once done garnish with finely chopped raw onions and fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve as a curry dip with bread sauted in butter.