23 March, 2017
malabar spinach recipe(pui shaager chochhori)
This is a traditional vegetable side dish from mom’s kitchen.The combination of vegetables is important in this case .The use of the right veggies in the right proportion makes this dish very tasty.Malabar spinach is a green leafy vegetable popular in Asia .It is very popular in Chinese and Filipino cuisines besides India.The leaves are thicker than regular spinach and crunchy to taste.Like spinach this vegetable is also rich in iron and vitamins.
The leaves also go very well with fishes and in Bengal it is cooked with prawns and fish heads for non-vegetarians .In Philippines they are cooked with sardines.
But for vegetarians this dish is divine to taste and can be served as a side dish with rice and dal to complete the meal.In case Malabar spinach is not available you can substitute with regular spinach which makes an equal tasty dish but different in taste .
- Malabar spinach leaves as well as stalks chopped into big pieces(3 to 4 cups)
- 1 cup ripe Pumpkin ( cut into big cubes)
- 1/2 cup radish (cubed small)
- 1/2 cup potato (small cubes)
- 1 cup brinjal or egg plants(cut into big pieces)
- 1/2 tsp paach phoran(Five spice mix) consisting of nigella seeds,cumin seeds,fennel seeds,fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds mixed in equal proportions
- 2 to 3 red chilies
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil(or regular vegetable oil)
- cumin powder(1 tsp)
- turmeric powder(1/2 tsp)
- Wash the vegetables and the leaves in water.
- Heat oil in the pan (if using mustard oil till smoking)
- fry 1 /2 tsp of whole spice mix followed by red chilies.
- Add the vegetables and saute.
- Add salt ,turmeric and cumin powder.
- Add salt and mix,
- Cover cook for 15 to 20 minutes till the potatoes and radish are tender.
- The vegetable should be mushy.
- stir thoroughly with the ladle till it does not leave the sides of the pan.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar and mix[optional]
- Break 2 to 3 whole green chillies and mix in the vegetable.
- If the vegetable is dry add 1/2 cup of water and saute.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Do not change the combination of the vegetables.
- Pumpkins and aubergines should be cut big compared to potatoes and radish as the get cooked quickly ,otherwise they will disintegrate during the cooking process.
- The whole spice mix should be fried but not burnt then the dish will turn bitter.