2 October, 2017
chal potol recipe |chal padwal|pointed gourds cooked in rice
Potol or pointed gourd is a vegetable which is found in abundance in any part of India.But the vegetable varieties found in West Bengal are amazing and are best for the Bengali recipes as they are prepared from the local yields.Most of them are seedless and have a soft texture which gets tender quickly and if they are overripe then the seeds are taken and stuffed with minced meat or seafood or boiled potatoes to make delicious ” Dorma “. As I stay in Mumbai ,I am compelled to use the local varieties which are available in Mumbai markets which are much smaller in size and are also seedless and tender but cannot be stuffed .So I am preparing another recipe with it where the pointed gourds are cooked with small quantity of rice and here rice actually acts as a kind of element which gives volume and flavor to the dish.One should use only small amount of rice like a fist of grains or so.
- Improved digestion
- Increase roughage and fibers in food
- purification of blood
- Controls blood sugar
8 to 10 whole Patol/padwal/pointed gourd
1 tbsp ginger paste
2 inch cinnamon stick
1 star anise
3 green cardamom
1 bay leaves
1/4 cup mustard oil
1 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
sugar 1 tsp
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 cup basmati rice soaked for at least 1/2 an hour
marinate with turmeric and salt for 5 minutes
shallow fry in mustard oil till light brown.
Take out the vegetables from oil
fry the potatoes
Add a bay leaf and the whole spices and fry
Fry ginger paste
Add sugar and fry till it caramelises
Add the spices turmeric (a pinch),red chilly powder,cumin powder and fry in oil
Add the soaked rice and stir.
Add the fried pointed gourds ,potatoes and saute.
Add 1/2 cup of water or more.
Cover cook for 15 to 20 minutes till the vegetables are tender and rice is done.
Break 2 to 3 green chilies and mix.
cover cook for 5 minutes.
Serve hot with rice and dal.
- 8 to 10 whole Patol/padwal/pointed gourd
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 green cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup mustard oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- sugar 1 tsp
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 cup basmati rice soaked for at least 1/2 an hour
- Peel the pointed gourds
- marinate with turmeric and salt for 5 minutes
- shallow fry in mustard oil till light brown.
- Take out the vegetables from oil
- Add a bay leaf and the whole spices and fry
- Fry ginger paste
- Add sugar and fry till it caramelises
- Add the spices turmeric (a pinch),red chilly powder,cumin powder and fry in oil
- Add the soaked rice and stir.
- Add the fried pointed gourds and saute.
- Add 1/2 cup of water or more.
- Cover cook for 15 to 20 minutes till the vegetables are tender and rice is done.
- Break 2 to 3 green chilies and mix.
- cover cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice and dal.
Other versions from the web