Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe is one of the famous delicacy of Punjabi Cuisine. It is prepared by cooking rice and spicy chicken tikkas together in a covered pot.
Chicken tikka is also a popular dish from the Land of five rivers,Punjab in which Boneless Chicken pieces marinated in spicy mix of Yogurt and Spices are grilled in the clay tandoor .The heat of the tandoor and the smoke of the charcoal cooks these meat pieces to its perfection imbibing a spicy and smoky flavor which one will not forget.
There is a popular story which says the Mughal emperor Babur was a food lover and wanted to get rid of the bones in the kebabs which interrupted in relishing these soft melt into mouth tender meat pieces to its fullest and ordered his Indian cooks or khansamas to prepare kebabs out of boneless chicken pieces.These pieces came to be known as tikkas.These tikkas further cooked in a spicy red sauce made from tomatoes and yogurt are layered with rice in an air tight pot to make a delicious variation of the traditional Biriyani called Tikka Biriyani..
Ingredients for making tikkas
- 1 whole Boneless Chicken(cut into medium sized pieces)
- Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbs garlic paste
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Chaat masala (optional)
- 1 kasuri methi(Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Curd(1/2 cup)
- Salt to taste
For making Gravy :
- 2 to 3 onion, sliced (for making Brown Onions)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomato, pureed
- 1/4th cup yogurt, fresh and whipped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2-3 black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Few saffron strands
- 2 tablespoon oil/ghee for cooking
- Few Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Few mint leaves, finely chopped
For making Rice you will need:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with yoghurt,fenugreek,oil,Kashmiri chilly powder,salt and lemon juice.
- Grill the chicken in the OTG or charcoal grill till the marinate dries and the chicken gets tender and charred.
- Add oil in the biriyani pot and fry the onions till brown.
- Add all the spices and cook till the spicy mixture starts living the sides of the pan.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook,till tender.
- Add the cooked parboiled rice.
- Spread the brown fried onions
- Add another layer of rice.Spread coriander and mint leaves and safrron.
- Cover and cook in low flame for 20 to 30 minutes.
- When done mix the layers carefully and serve