I would not have known that such a delicious dish existed ,if I had missed Lisa Watson’s wonderful post on twitter about the Easter Recipes.She is a gem of a writer and a chef ,you can read about the history of this wonderful dish ,in her blog.Easter Sunday is celebrated throughout the world to commemorate Lord Jesus Christ’s resurrection from death after his Crucifixion by the Romans.In India Easter is celebrated by the Christian in various parts of the country,and there is a traditional feast consisting of local festive dishes and eggs .Eggs definitely form the center of all Easter celebrations.
Torta Pasqualina is an Italian pie ,traditionally filled with Swiss chard and ricotta but I think a lot of variations can be prepared by substituting local veggies.”Torta” word refers to a sandwich made with crusty bread roll served hot or cold. The specialty of this pie is that when you cut this pie you can see the egg beautifully cooked inside the pie.The My improvisation to this dish however , was to replace the ricotta with our local cottage cheese as it is difficult to procure here and adding some Indian spices for the sharpness,as we love spicy food.I made separate layers of spinach and cottage cheese as I referred to Lisa’s recipe ,but I think mixing of spinach and cottage cheese too will give a pretty and delicious filling like our traditional Indian “palak paneer” which is close to the heart of all Indians.I will like to try that version in future.
puff pastry dough
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 1 cup of grated cheddar and mozzarella or processed pizza cheese
- 1 tsp roasted carom seeds
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chilly flakes
- 2 chopped green chilies
- 1 tbsp Mixed Italian herbs(dried oregano,rosemary,basil)
- 1 tsp Black pepper coarsely ground
- eggs 6
- butter 1/4 cup melted for brushing
Filling (Layer 1)
- Boil the spinach with little salt
- Add 1/2 tsp of oil in the pan and fry onions and garlic.
- Add the spices (carom seeds,chilly flakes,green chilies,Italian herbs )followed by spinach and saute.
- Cook till the water dries.
- take off from the pan and chop the spinach very fine.
Filling (Layer 2)
- blend the cottage cheese with little salt
- Add 1 egg and mix
- Add black pepper powder
- Mix water,salt and oil together.
- Add this mixture to the flour in batches while mixing with fingers till it forms a soft mixture.
- knead this dough well and keep it covered.
- Roll out layers from the dough
- Make 4 medium sized balls of dough ,for 4 pastry sheets,two at the bottom,two for the top.
- I still had some dough remaining.Y