In this recipe I made dhokla from the freshly ground dosa /idly batter which is readily available here…If you want to make batter at home ,you can checkout my dosa recipe at this link.
Dosa batter (Add only little water in the batter as it should be thick)
I made this recipe during the morning on the 15th August, the independence day of India ,my country.So I used tricolors which are present in my country’s flag.
- Saffron represents selflessness
- White represents purity and peace
- Green represents prosperity
1.Dosa batter made of grounded rice and urud dal.(500 gm)
2.Curd (200 gm)
3.Ginger 2 to 3 inch piece
4.Green chillies (4 to 6)
5.Saffron strands (4 to 5)
8.Orange food color(a pinch)
9.Curry leaves(5 to 6)
10.Mustard seeds( 1/2 tsp)
11.Water 1 cup
12 salt to taste
13.Sugar powder(2 to 3 tbsp)
14.Baking soda (1 tbsp)
- Divide into 3 equal portions.
- Add 1/2 cup of curd in each portion and mix and keep for 1 to 2 hours.
- In the first portion grind coriander leaves and 1 green chilly and add .You can add a pinch of green color if you want more intense green.
- In the second portion which is white ,add a tbsp of ground ginger and green chilly mix.
- In the 3rd portion add the soaked saffron strands with a pinch of orange color(optional).
- Add 1 tsp of salt and sugar in all the portions.
- Grease a microwave proof pan with oil evenly.
- Add 1/4th tsp of baking soda in the green batter and mix.You will notice slowly the batter will double in size,beat with spoon to incorporate air bubbles iinto the batter.
- Add it immediately into the pan and micro on full power for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Take out the pan brush some coriander chilly mix on the top .
- Ready the 2nd batter mix.Add 1/4th tsp of baking soda and mix till it doubles in size.Add this mix on the already cooked batter into the pan and micro for another 5 minutes.
- Again repeat the steps 10 and 11 and add the saffron colored batter on the already cooked batter and micro for 6 minutes.
- The duration will be 4 to 6 minutes depending on your quantity.The top should be cooked and the consistency just like a cake.
- Take out the whole thing and place on a plate.
- We need to do the seasoning now.Cut into even squares with a knife.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil in the pan add a tsp of mustard seeds and 6 to 7 curry leaves,2 to 3 chopped green chilies and fry,when the mustard seeds starts spluttering add a cup of water with a tsp of sugar and boil.
- Add this whole seasoning on the dhoklas.keep it for around 5 to 10 minutes covered ,the seasonings will be absorbed by these dhoklas and it will be spongy and moist.
- You can sprinkle some freshly desiccated coconut on top.
- Serve with spicy jalapenos sauce,coriander or cilantro sauce or sweet and sour tamarind chutney.Enjoy