2 June, 2017
Bengali plastic chutney recipe(raw papaya chutney recipe)
Pretty,beautiful ,elegant and unique!! ,No I am not talking about any beautiful lady but this dish, which will mesmerize you with its charm and deliciousness.We call it “chutney” in Bengali which is homophonous to the other spicy chutneys which are popular in India but it is actually a dessert ,without which food in any grand traditional bengali wedding or is incomplete.The ingredient is raw green papaya which is known for its beauty retaining and digestive properties in traditional Ayurveda.There are several uses of raw papaya ,one of the most popular being for tenderizing meat due to rich in digestive enzymes .It is very popular in Bengali cuisine may be due to the fact that the food is rich and raw green papaya aids in digestion.This dish is known as plastic chutney due to the fact that it looks like transparent plastic pieces.You can garnish with cinnamon sticks if you like.The dessert can be stored in air tight containers in refrigerator for about 15 days.
- raw green papaya 1/2 (finely sliced and chopped )
- Sugar (1 cup)
- 2 cup water
- Lime juice(1 tbsp)
- salt 1/4 tsp
- Raisins (1/2 cup)
- Remove the green peel and the seeds of raw papaya and cut into thin slices like chips.
- Heat water and papaya and salt and allow them to cook for 10 to 15 minutes till it becomes tender.
- Add sugar and raisins and cook till the papaya becomes translucent like plastic.
- Drizzle lemon juice and allow to cool.
- Serve as a dessert or store in containers.